Sunday, August 7, 2011

Twitter, Tweets, & Copyright

Trying to understand copyright issues in connection to the internet and related Technology really seems a daunting task at times.

Personally I think the legal system hasn't caught up to "Internet Age" yet, just like the music industry only recently adapted to change in recording technology. Or, more interesting to me than music industry, book publishing industry is in the midst of adaptation. Though that is a topic for a future blog.

I have come to blogging from a writing background, thought I understood proper ways to use copyrighted material, but I recently realized that I was actually at the Unconscious Incompetence stage of knowledge [see  Four Stages of Competence wikipedia].  I  literally didn't know what I didn't know.

So I have been considering much more critically anything I want to quote or reference with more than a link & description.

This morning I saw a Tweet I wanted to post on a fan page, so I did some Net searching to see if there was an answer.  Though I wasn't concerned about that specific Tweet, since I am sure the author wants the information spread.  That was the point of his Tweet.

So far this article, by Emerging Strategies, is by far the best information I have found about Tweets & copyright issue.

I have a far better understanding of the issue, after reading their article, than I did from the rest of my research combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment